About Geeks On A Plane
Organized by 500 Startups, Geeks on a Plane (#GOAP) is an invite-only tour for startups, investors, and executives to learn about high-growth technology markets worldwide. We travel by planes, trains, and automobiles to the most exciting international startup scenes with the sole mission of uniting geeks and exploring cross-border opportunities. The result: a lifelong bond with fellow travelers, a wealth of new friends and business contacts in exploding technology markets, and a stronger appreciation for the cultural and economic ties that bind us globally.
- Meet startups, geeks, and investors in cities around the world
- Learn about trends in internet, mobile, and other tech platforms
- Gain insight into local markets, demographics, and business models
- Meet cool people, new ventures, and have fun on planes, trains & buses
Regions & Cities Visited Include:
- East Asia: Tokyo, Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Seoul
- Southeast Asia: Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Jakarta
- India: Agra, Bangalore, Mumbai, New Delhi
- Middle East: Istanbul, Tel Aviv, Amman, Dubai
- Eastern Europe: Moscow, Tallinn, Zagreb, Berlin
- Europe: London, Amsterdam, Prague, Paris
- Latin America: Mexico City, Bogotá, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Santiago
- United States: Miami, Honolulu, Washington, D.C.
About Dave McClure: Founder of GOAP & Founding Partner of 500 Startups:
Dave McClure has been geeking out in Silicon Valley for over twenty years as a software developer, entrepreneur, startup advisor, angel investor, blogger, and internet marketing nerd. Dave is the founder and general partner at 500 Startups, a Silicon Valley startup fund and incubator program. In 2009, Dave managed the FF Angel seed-stage investment program for Founders Fund and also ran the Facebook fbFund REV social incubator. His passion is helping startups with marketing, product strategy, and startup metrics, and he has been an advisor or investor in more than 80 companies including Mint.com (acquired by Intuit), SlideShare, Mashery, TeachStreet, KISSmetrics, Simply Hired, Twilio, Bit.ly, Jambool (acquired by Google), Wildfire Interactive, SendGrid, Crowdflower, and CreditKarma, among others.
Dave is the founder of Startup2Startup, a monthly dinner series for Silicon Valley startup entrepreneurs & investors. He has been a conference organizer for many tech & startup events, including STARTonomics, Graphing Social Patterns, and Web 2.0 Expo (SF). He has been a guest lecturer on social network platforms & applications at Stanford University. Dave served as a board member for microfinance accelerator Unitus, advisor to microfinance lender Kiva.org, and co-founder of the Silicon Valley Microfinance Network.
Dave previously ran marketing for job search engine Simply Hired, and its evil twin SimplyFired.com. From 2001 to 2004, Dave worked at PayPal (acquired by eBay in 2002) as Director of Marketing, where he started the PayPal Developer Network program. Prior to PayPal, Dave was a database consultant & programmer for several companies, including Microsoft and Intel. In 1994 he founded Aslan Computing, an internet & e-commerce consulting group later acquired by Servinet / Panurgy in 1998.
Before coming to Silicon Valley, Dave barely graduated from the Johns Hopkins University with a BS Engineering in Mathematical Sciences and a minor in frisbee, billiards, and foosball. His interests include microfinance and economic innovation, entrepreneurship & venture capital, ultimate frisbee, cartoons & animation, and an ever-growing collection of funny-looking hats.
Find Out More About GOAP:
- Follow GOAP on Twitter (+ #GOAP tag)
- Visit GOAP on Facebook
- Watch GOAP on YouTube
- See GOAP on Flickr (+ #GOAP tag)