Not unlike a startup itself, Estonia has emerged from obscurity to become one of the hottest tickets on Europe’s technology stage. According to the Wall Street Journal, “Estonia is the 132nd smallest country in the world by land mass yet it produces more startups per head of population than any other country in Europe”.
The birthplace of Skype, the North Star of Estonian entrepreneurs, this is a country that embraces every facet of technology and is churning out an enviable number of vibrant, viable startups. From Erply to ZeroTurnaround to Fits.me, Estonia has built a startup community that is strong, global, and rivals some of the world’s best.
In Tallinn, the agenda includes:
- Visit to Skype’s 1st office, tour the developer groups, and meet with Estonia GM Tiit Paananen
- Startup BBQ hosted by Erply, meet with CEO Kristjan Hiiemaa, and network with local tech geeks
- “Off the Record” session with Estonia’s most successful serial tech entrepreneurs – a private, roundtable conversation about the real opportunities and challenges facing technology in Estonia (including Juri Kaljundi: Garage48/Talentag; Ahti Heinla: Founding Engineer of Skype; Kristjan Hiiemaa: CEO, Erply; Ragnar Sass: Garage48/Pipedrive; Martin Villig: Garage48/Modera; Taavet Hinrikus: CEO, TransferWise)
- Visit Garage48, the hub for Estonia’s tech entrepreneurs, and join a networking party where startups from all over Estonia and nearby Finland will convene
- Founders’ Tours – Walking tours of Tallinn led by local startup founders, a great opportunity to see the city through a local’s perspective while also learning about a cool new startup