The birthplace of Nikola Tesla and home to inventions such as the torpedo, the parachute, & the fingerprinting technique, the spirit of disruption and penchant for discovery is part of Croatia’s DNA. With an opportunistic geography as a gateway between Western Europe & the Balkans and an upcoming admittance into the European Union, Croatia is quickly becoming much more than just Beyonce & Jay-Z’s favorite vacation spot.
With the development of CRANE (Croatian Business Angels Network), ZIP (Zagreb Incubator of Entrepreneurship), & several other key players, a tight-knit community of tech entrepreneurs has formed and is churning out some pretty awesome startups like Farmeron, Toshl, Zemanta, and more. While Croatian entrepreneurs face numerous obstacles—from complex legislation to high tax burdens—they are nonetheless driving toward a bright future.
Highlights From Zagreb:
- GOAP Zagreb Startup Conference, a gathering of regional tech startups, investors, and companies organized by CRANE, ZIP, Farmeron, & Netokracija
- Zagreb Startup Competition, where local entrepreneurs pitch their startups & get feedback from the geeks
- Meeting with Croatian President Ivo Jospovic to discuss Croatia’s endeavors for tech entrepreneurship and learn more about how #GOAP can help
- Zagreb Startup Networking Dinner that brings together the most important startups and business leaders in the region
- “Off the Record” session with Croatia’s most successful tech entrepreneurs – a private, roundtable conversation about the real opportunities and challenges facing technology in Croatia & Southeastern Europe
- Exploring Zagreb’s medieval towers, 19th Century palaces, & open-air markets alongside local startup founders.