The birthplace of Nikola Tesla and home to inventions such as the torpedo, the parachute, & the fingerprinting technique, the spirit of disruption and penchant for discovery is part of Croatia’s DNA. With an opportunistic geography as a gateway between Western Europe & the Balkans and an upcoming admittance into the European Union, Croatia is quickly becoming much more than just Beyonce & Jay-Z’s favorite vacation spot.
With the development of CRANE (Croatian Business Angels Network), ZIP (Zagreb Incubator of Entrepreneurship), & several other key players, a tight-knit community of tech entrepreneurs has formed and is churning out some pretty awesome startups like Farmeron, Toshl, Zemanta, and more. While Croatian entrepreneurs face numerous obstacles – from complex legislation to high tax burdens – they are nonetheless driving towards a bright future.
In Zagreb, the agenda includes:
- GOAP Zagreb Startup Conference, a gathering of regional tech startups, investors, and companies organized by CRANE, ZIP, Farmeron, & Netokracija
- Zagreb Startup Competition, where local entrepreneurs pitch their startups & get feedback from the geeks
- Meeting with Croatian President Ivo Jospovic to discuss Croatia’s endeavors for tech entrepreneurship and learn more about how #GOAP can help
- Zagreb Startup Networking Dinner that brings together the most important startups and business leaders in the region
- “Off the Record” session with Croatia’s most successful tech entrepreneurs – a private, roundtable conversation about the real opportunities and challenges facing technology in Croatia & Southeastern Europe
- Exploring Zagreb’s medieval towers, 19th Century palaces, & open-air markets alongside local startup founders